Congratulations on your engagement! As a soon-to-be-bride, I feel sure you want to look your absolute best on your wedding day. While I’m not a certified nutritionist or personal trainer, I do have a passion for fitness and health and love learning all I can. First and foremost, do not become so focused on losing weight for your wedding that you lose sight of the big picture. You are marrying your life partner, and it will be the happiest day of your life! I can assure you that your soon-to-be-husband is going to think you are stunning no matter the number on the scale. Without further ado, here are nine tips to help you look and feel your best on your wedding day…
- Start early! Don’t expect to drop 20 (or even 10) pounds in a month. Start planning and setting mini goals months in advance. It will seem much less daunting this way.
- Get moving…in a way you love. Find a form(s) of exercise that you look forward to doing! You’ll never stick with a workout plan long term if you dread the workout.
- Find an accountability partner. Whether it is your best friend, your mom or your future groom, find someone to hold you accountable in your journey.
- Cut back on alcohol. We all know that alcohol is full of empty calories. Do your best to limit alcohol consumption. When you do indulge in a drink, stick with wine (preferably red) over beer or mixed drinks.
- Drink WATER! LOTS of water. I can talk about this subject all day. Drinking water and staying hydrated, in my opinion, is the key to losing weight and keeping it off. You should be drinking half your body weight in ounces every day. For example, if you weigh 150 pounds, you should be drinking a minimum of 75 ounces of water each day. Not only will this aid in weight loss, but your skin will look amazing!
- Keep a food diary. Writing down what you are eating makes it a little easier to skip out on that Snickers bar afternoon snack.
- Don’t deprive yourself too much. If you go a year without touching a dessert…you are probably going to dive head first into the dessert table on your honeymoon and come back with all that weight you worked so hard to lose. Give yourself a few bites of dessert here and there. Moderation is key!
- Limit starchy foods when going out to eat. If you aren’t a salad fan, order a protein with double veggies. Also, ask your server to not bring the bread (or chip) basket.
- Do your research! Find health and fitness gurus and read their blogs, get on their email lists and follow them on social media! My absolute favorite? Jill Coleman. No one will ever know all there is to know about health, so continuing to learn is key!