BY MARTIE EMORY
Shopping local always feels right, and if you’re planning a wedding, you may be gearing up for some significant gift giving that could certainly shine even brighter with some local flavor!
Being a thoughtful gift-giver to your bridesmaids and family members starts with being a thoughtful listener – you remember your sister adores a local handmade jewelry line carried by your favorite boutique, and you’ve heard your mom swoon over the idea of a spa day and you know just the place. If you’re paying attention, chances are you’ll find the perfect accessories or the perfect services to please both while you’re exploring our area’s fabulous boutiques and small businesses. Let your gifts reflect love, support and dedication to lifelong relationships!
- Wrap up some tasty local goodies to create a “Will you be my bridesmaid?” basket, inviting your best girls to join the wedding party. We’re thinking Yadkin Valley wines, gourmet cupcakes, the latest brightly patterned Corkcicle – you get the idea!
- Jewelry is always a favorite, sentimental gift choice for your attendants, and one size does fit all! Maybe it’s matching earrings or initial necklaces to wear with their dresses on the big day or a special “Blessing Bracelet” in each girl’s favorite color.
- Personalization makes every gift even more special: A travel mug for your maid-of-honor who commutes to work, a jewelry case for your frequent travelers, a monogrammed tote bag for work or the gym (these bridesmaids are busy ladies, after all) or maybe an engraved frame that fits a “girl’s night” photo none of you will ever forget.
- Pamper the women you couldn’t do without – Mom, sisters, girlfriends – with a luxurious spa day: A soothing facial, relaxing manicure and pedicure, or a gift certificate for their favorite yoga studio (complete with a personalized yoga mat).
- Do a little detective work around town, and you’ll find some amazing, locally made soap and candle product lines that are sure to leave a heartfelt impression, as well as one-of-a-kind handcrafted jewelry. Follow your favorite local boutique on social media for ideas and new introductions!
- Don’t forget your youngest attendant! Order a special book for your flower girl or a jewelry box holding a special memento of the big day. Lots of children’s retail shops carry sweet storybooks or other fun items with those little girls in mind.
- As part of your pre-wedding girl’s weekend, plan a day-long shopping extravaganza to some of your favorite local boutiques, followed by a sunset gathering at one of the area’s breathtaking wineries. (Hint: Monogrammed wine glasses make the most awesome keepsakes, too!)
- Surprise the best parents ever with their very own photo session with your wedding photographer! It’s a perfect chance for them to have a new “couple” photo as well, or schedule a session for their next anniversary.
- Treat your mom – or mother-in-law – to a gourmet cooking class along with a trendy cookbook or kitchen gadget.
- Nothing says love – and thank you – like beautiful fresh flowers. Ask your wedding florist for assistance in scheduling a monthly flower delivery to your mom for the upcoming year. A fragrant arrangement of cut flowers will bring back memories of her role in your dream wedding day!